Better Safe than Sorry!
DID YOU KNOW?
- It has been estimated that about 1/3 of travelling Canadians leave the country with absolutely no medical coverage;
- This is dangerous in that statistics show that 21 % of travellers will require medical attention – 40% of these will not have coverage;
- Provincial health plans cover only about 9 % of out-of-country medical expenses;
- The average out-of-pocket cost per hospital stay in the U.S. is over $15,000 with some expenses being as high as $100,000 or more;
- Even travel in Canada can result in out-of- pocket costs for medical treatment due to the differences between provincial plans;
- Some countries (such as Cuba) and many cruise ships require proof of travel insurance.
WHO SHOULD HAVE IT?
- Anyone who would suffer financial consequences if they were to become ill or have an accident while travelling abroad (or even just out of province) In other words almost everyone who can qualify for coverage should get it;
- Younger travellers are particularly vulnerable as almost 60% between the ages of 18 and 29 are estimated to be without private travel insurance.
WHAT TYPES OF COVERAGE ARE AVAILABLE?
Generally, the following are available:
- Single Trip Plans – provides emergency medical coverage for one trip for the number of days selected;
- Multi-Trip Plans – provides emergency medical for an unlimited number of trips during the policy year for the number of days selected;
- All inclusive plans – in addition to emergency medical benefits also provides coverage such as Trip Cancellation and Interruption, Baggage Loss, Delay and Damage, Flight Accident and Travel Accident (lump sum benefit). These plans and benefits are usually available on Single Trip or Multi-Trip plans or could be available as a stand alone plan.
WHAT SHOULD I BE AWARE OF?
- Emergency Medical plans are usually issued with restrictions for “pre-existing” conditions. This means that ailments or conditions that manifested themselves before the coverage was purchased may be excluded from the covered conditions.
- Usually, however, if there has been no medical change to the condition within a period of time prior to travel (usually 3 months) total coverage will be provided;
- Prior to application you should know your health status and ensure that you disclose any pre-existing condition on the application;
- Be sure that you purchase your coverage in Canada prior to your travel date.
IS IT POSSIBLE TO BUY LONGER TERM COVERAGE?
Manulife Financial is the first company in Canada to offer a plan that will provide guaranteed renewable coverage until age 80, even if your health changes. This plan is known as Travel80 and provides for the following:
- Available for purchase between the ages of 18 and 60;
- Available to residents of Canada who have valid Canadian government health insurance prior to each trip;
- Has a $5,000,000 lifetime benefit maximum with no deductible;
- Covers all medical conditions that are unchanged 3 months prior to any trip;
- Covers all trips for as long as 30 days (longer coverage available) until age 80 ;
- The premium at time of issue is locked in and guaranteed until age 80
- Every ten consecutive years that you are claim-free, you will receive a 50% return of premiums.
WHY RISK YOUR FINANCIAL FUTURE?
Travelling out of the country (or even out of province) can be financially risky if you fall ill or get hurt in an accident. Medical and hospital expenses can destroy a financial or retirement plan if adequate protection is not in place. The cost for this coverage pales in comparison to what could be the ultimate cost of medical treatment.
Prior to any vacation or trip, you should review any coverage that you may have. This includes government plans, employee benefit coverage, credit card benefits etc. If you do not have any of this coverage or if you feel it is inadequate consider purchasing travel insurance.
Please call me prior to your next trip to assess your risk and protect against it or use the social sharing buttons below to share this article with a friend or family member you think might benefit from this information.